84 Conversation Starters That Will Make You Instantly Interesting at a Party
Socializing can make or break the quality of your life from making new acquaintances to snagging a date to the next event. At the right party, having decent social skills could even land you a better paying gig.
If you’re a socially awkward wallflower, you should always have a set of conversation starters ingrained in your mind. Here’s a good list that you can use at any occasion with any crowd.
Table of Contents
- Funny Conversation Starters
- Conversation Starters for Teens
- Sophisticated and Deep Conversation Starters
Funny Conversation Starters
Who doesn’t love a good laugh? Whether it’s dry humor, a touch of sarcasm or laugh-out-loud joke, an icebreaker is always appreciated to break the tension in the room. If you need a funny opening line, try one of these:
- Who did you owe a favor to that made you come tonight?
- How long did you tell yourself that you’d stay tonight?
- What TV show would you rather be binge-watching right now?
- Someone told me there would be free drinks. What’s your excuse?
- Have you ever sent a text to the wrong person? Please tell me I’m not alone.
- My ex is here. Will you talk to me all night?
- If I leave the party early, do you think I’ll miss the good stuff?
- I don’t get out much. Can you tell?
- What’s the best conspiracy theory that you’ve heard?
- Who is the most ridiculous person you’ve ever met?
- How do you feel about people who insist on putting pineapple on pizza?
- What’s your favorite non-insult insult?
- If you could give yourself a better first name, what would it be?
- If the host gave you one hundred dollars, would you bust a move?
- What’s your music guilty pleasure?
- What’s the worst movie out right now that you secretly love?
- Who was the one who got away? And why are they definitely regretting it?
- Who was the last ex or job who was foolish enough to break up with you?
Conversation Starters for Teens
Parties can be overwhelming, especially if your friends aren’t meeting you there. If you find yourself in a room with strangers around your age, don’t panic. Even if it looks like you don’t have anything in common, you can always find common ground with your peers. Try a few of these liners if you get stuck.
- Who invited you tonight?
- Did someone bribe you to show up tonight?
- What school do you go to? What class are you in?
- How long did it take you to get here? Do you live nearby?
- What’s the last funny text that someone sent you?
- How long could you go without your phone?
- What’s your SnapChat?
- Are you on TikTok?
- Who’s the funniest person who you follow on SnapChat?
- What celebrity would you want to follow you back on Instagram?
- What’s the last show that you binge-watched? Was it good, or just addictive?
- Do you like this song that’s playing? What kind of music do you listen to?
- What’s on your playlist?
- Where do you find new music?
- Who’s your favorite artist?
- If you could be anywhere in the world, where would you be?
- What’s your favorite brand right now?
- Are you looking at colleges?
- Are you thinking about going away for college?
- Would you ever study abroad? If so, where would you want to go?
- What’s the best vacation you’ve ever been on? Who was there?
- Who’s your best friend? And for how long?
- Who’s your favorite TV show character?
- Who’s your favorite Marvel villain?
- What’s better: Marvel or DC?
- What’s better: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu or Disney?
Sophisticated and Deep Conversation Starters
You’re dressed to impress, but you don’t have any idea on how to start or keep a conversation going at a party with unfamiliar guests. No need to worry. If you find yourself with a sophisticated group of party goers, simply introduce yourself and feel comfortable with asking any of the following questions listed below.
- What do you do for a living?
- Do you like your work?
- What are you passionate about?
- What are your favorite hobbies?
- What was the last movie you thought was hilarious?
- Who is your favorite actor or actress?
- What part of town do you live?
- Where do you vacation? Have you been to (insert your favorite location)?
- Where did you get the inspiration for your home décor?
- What’s your favorite restaurant in the city?
- What venues do you frequent?
- What’s your go-to cocktail?
- Red or white wine?
- Do you have children? How far apart in age are they?
- How do you like their school?
- Are you thinking about expanding your family?
- Would you ever move out of the state?
- Where are you from originally?
- What is the real estate like you are from?
- What university did you attend? Did you belong to a sorority or fraternity?
Good Way to Start a Conversation at a Dinner Party
Nothing beats a dinner party. Good food. Hopefully, good drinks. However, if you are nervous about how to break the ice with the other guests, try getting to know them better by asking easy questions about their interests. Here are some examples.
- What TV show are you watching right now?
- What’s the worst show on TV these days?
- If you could guest star on any show, what would it be?
- What did you think about the last Superbowl win?
- How’s your favorite sports team?
- If you could travel to any country, where would you go?
- If you live anywhere for one year free of cost, where would you live?
- What language do you dream in? (bilingual guests)
- Are you a dog or cat person?
- Would you ever skydive?
- Where was the last place that you’ve flown?
- What are three items you would take with you to a deserted island?
- If you didn’t have to work, what would you do?
- What’s your boss like?
- What’s your favorite part about being a business owner?
- Are you seeing anyone special? If so, how long?
- How did you meet your spouse/partner? How long have you been together?
- What are you most excited about this month?
- What’s the best thing that happened to you today?
- What are you most looking forward to this year?
You may also like: