Having a conversation with a child isn’t always the easiest thing to do. From serious topics to lighthearted daily talks, it can be tough finding the right words to start things off.
It’s important that you open the door for a two-way conversation with children as a way to better connect with them. This is true whether you’re a parent, guardian, or older sibling. If you’re struggling to talk with a child, we hope that our ideas will help you find the right words.
Table of Contents
Conversation Starters for Kids
A good way to help kids open up is by starting the conversation off in a way that steers them to keep talking.
- Tell me something interesting that happened today.
- Is there one food you would love to eat for the rest of your life.
- Name something you feel grateful for today.
- What’s one toy you could/couldn’t live without?
- What’s better: eating breakfast at school or breakfast at home?
- If animals could talk, what do you think they’d say?
- Is there something you know more about that your friends or no one else knows?
- If you could create your own holiday, what would it be about and how would we celebrate it?
- How do you think your toys would sound like if they could talk?
- Do you have a best friend at school?
- Do you like all your teachers?
- What’s the best joke you’ve ever heard that makes you laugh so hard your stomach hurts?
- Can you tell me a bad joke?
- What’s your favorite cartoon character?
- If you could make your own Halloween costume, what would it look like?
- Is there something that you’re not good at that you want to be good at?
- What’s something you enjoy doing when you’re alone?
- If you saw a friend at school in trouble, what would you do to help them?
- Do you know what bullying is/have you ever seen someone being bullied?
Conversation Topics for Kids
A wonderful way to get kids talking is by focusing on topics they enjoy such as their hobbies, friends, and other interests.
- What’s your favorite thing about going to school?
- Do you enjoy big parties with lots of people or smaller parties with just a few friends and family?
- Do you like to watch sports more or play them?
- What’s the funniest thing a teacher has ever said/done?
- Got any shows you want to binge watch this weekend?
- What’s better: relaxing inside on a snow day or playing outside?
- Name the best party food.
- Is there one friend that has to come to your birthday party no matter what?
- Does anyone in your school have the same name as you?
- Have any favorite games to play that you haven’t played in a while?
- Do you enjoy gym class?
- Do you sit with the same people in lunch every day?
- Is there someone in school that doesn’t seem like they have a lot of friends?
- Do you think you could go a whole day without saying a word?
- What’s one item that you wish you had?
- Do you have a favorite or least favorite holiday and why?
- What do you think is the best thing your friends like about you?
- Did you play with someone new today at school?
- Is there something that made you smile today?
- What’s something that you’re really good at?
Conversation Questions for Kids
With the right question, you can leave the door open for kids to feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and feelings.
- If you could have any superpower, what would you choose?
- Is there anyone in your life you look up to the most?
- Do you think our house rules/chores are fair or would you change some of them?
- What do you think is the worst/best rule at school?
- Do you think your teacher is fair?
- Do you like wearing uniforms at school?
- Do you wish your school had a uniform policy?
- If you could be the sidekick to your favorite superhero, who would it be and what would your nickname be?
- Is there anything that makes you feel anxious or worried sometimes?
- Does anyone do something that frustrates you at school or at home?
- What’s going through your mind right now?
- If you could go to any country right now, where would you want to go?
- If you had $100, what’s the first thing you would do with it?
- Who’s your favorite person?
- Is there anything you don’t like sharing with other people?
- If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
- If you had a zoo, what’s the animals that you would love to have in it?
- If robots were real, would you want to have one?
- Which would you choose: no more vegetables or no more homework?
- What’s the worst superpower you would not want to have?
If you like it, Pin it!
You may also like: